Sorry we haven’t been posting much lately! Summer has been so very busy…as I’m sure all of you know! And as Willy Wonka says in the original movie, “So much time so little to do! Wait reverse that.” Definitely applies to summer! I’ve got a list a mile long of things I need and should do but I have been very slow at getting them all done.
Anyhow, this past week my aunt Diana went on a big long camping trip with her family and before she left she called me up to let me know that she had a currant bush by the side of her house just bursting with berries, and if I wanted to pick them I could make some currant jelly. I thought that might be fun since I haven’t ever made currant jelly before, in fact I’ve never made any kind of jelly before…so I thought I would give it a go. Boy does it sure take a long time to pick currants!
And it takes a long time to juice them!
Okay…it probably doesn’t take that long—but it did take ME all day. I thought it would take 2-3 hours….but at the 3 hour mark they were only barely starting to juice and I had somewhere I had to go. So—I turned off the stove and left, and came back and turned it on, but another hour later I had to go someplace else so I had to turn it off again. Needless to say it personally took me most of the day! Note to self: Don’t start juicing berries if you have someplace to go!
Anyhow, it turned out to be a bit more of a disaster than I had originally anticipated. Because, of course I just assumed I would be a pro at making jelly the first time I ever did it. HA! I guess we can’t all be good at everything all the time =)
So here is my story:
After I juiced my berries, I started following the instructions on the little sheet that comes in the pectin package. I measured my 6 1/2 cups of berries and added my 7 cups of sugar and my 1 package of pectin into the biggest pot I had and stuck it on the stove…only to realize that I wasn’t supposed to add the sugar until after it starts to boil…
“hmmm, hope that doesn’t really matter!”
Then my beautiful red currant, sugar, pectin mixture begins to boil….and I realize, quite quickly, that the biggest pot I own isn’t nearly big enough…
UGHHH! Just so you know…you do not want this to happen. This particular mixture is not a very fun one to clean up and it sent Billows. And no I am not exaggerating—BILLOWS of smoke throughout my basement apartment. Now, this isn’t a big deal but it was 10:00 at night and our particular smoke alarm is attached to all the smoke alarms in the house and when it goes off if is the loudest thing I think I have ever heard. Beep BEEP BEEP and then in case you didn’t catch what it was “FIRE FIRE FIRE!” Anyhow, its a horrible noise, and one I’m sure our upstairs neighbors would not appreciate…so David and I are running though the house opening all the windows and just hoping it doesn’t go off. Amazingly…and I do mean AMAZINGLY it didn’t. Maybe I should be worried that it didn’t—-because of all the billows—-but well…in this particular case I’m grateful! What on earth was I doing making jelly this time of night anyhow?!?
So, after I got the mess semi cleaned up I separated what was left of my mixture into 2 pans instead of 1, just hoping that somehow I still had the correct proportions of mixture left to boil. Well…I got it done, and put in jars and by the next day they still hadn’t set up. I got a bit worried, and called my mom and she was nice enough to reassure me: “currant syrup is good…” ha ha ha. Guess it probably is. Anyhow, about 3 days later it was all set up, so guess it just takes awhile. And here is my final creation:
Beautiful, Red and YUMMY!
So the moral of the story is this: You should definitely try things you’ve never tried before and even if it’s a disaster it might turn out 3 days later. HA HA. or something like that!