My husband has always claimed that he could ride a 2 wheel bike (with no training wheels) by the time he was three. I have argued that one with him a time or two because, well, I never 100% believed him…until:
yup…that is my 3 year old daughter out mastering skills I didn’t even have until I was 8. (embarrassing thing to admit huh? ha ha. ) I guess it is possible my husband was telling the truth…oh boy, don’t I feel bad. :-]
So, here are a few bike tricks (taught to me by my landlord) that ought to help your little one learn to ride a bike, in only a few days (no joke!)
***If you are trying to teach a fairly young child, make sure that they are comfortable with riding the bike with training wheels first. They should be able to steer, pedal, and most importantly break…once they have mastered those skills I think they would be ready to try to learn how to ride***
1. Take off the training wheels AND the pedals. Yup. Using a wrench just do like I said and take ’em off!
2. Lower the seat so that your child can touch the ground using flat feet. (both feet should be flat…not just one)
3. Let your child learn how to balance and “glide”. (Always, with a helmet…Audrey was just posing for me so she didn’t have hers on)Have them kick start down the sidewalk and try to lift up their feet while they ride…it took my daughter about 5 minutes to understand what I was trying to make her do…but then she just went off and did it.
4. Put the pedals back on. After you feel like your child has mastered the technique of balancing that is. I let Audrey ride her bike for a good 4 days without pedals before we put them back on.
5. Watch your child ride away…and realize that they don’t need you anymore. ha ha. just kidding. I’m still the one who makes lunch. :-)